DESCENT OF WELSHE’S TENEMENT IN PILTON 16TH/19TH CENTURY
- from: Margaret.Reed
- uploaded: Feb 5, 2014
- Hits: 1257
The property named in Christopher Lethbridge’s will of 1713 to be connected with a rent charge for the benefit of Pilton Church fabric was one third of approximately seven acres called Welshe’s Tenement otherwise Shearford Head Weir Meadow. It is located on the west side of the bottom of Shearford Lane and has, for many years, formed part of the lands attached to Westaway House, Pilton.
This document, researched by Margaret Reed in the North Devon Record Office, reveals the descent of this land from 16th to 19th Century. Furthermore, it explains the wording " Issueing out of Cubilittibone. Alias Welshes Tenement" to be found on the tablet on the south wall of Pilton Church. Follow this link to read more about that: http://vimp.thepiltonstory.org/picture/Plaque-in-Memory-of-Christopher-L...