close

Social bookmarks

Facebook Twitter Mister Wong digg del.icio.us yahoo YiGG

Embed code

Size
x pixels
Other

Permanent link

Recommend content

E-mail address: Message:

Documents

Pilton Causeway

  • from: Margaret.Reed
  • uploaded: Jun 16, 2012
  • Hits: 6755
/media/flashcomm?action=mediaview&context=normal&id=131
Description:

Pilton Causeway, connecting the lower part of Pilton Street with the north end of the town of Barnstaple, is barely recognisable today as a causeway. The whole area was once a marsh which flooded twice each day on high tide. In order to maintain a secure dry path between Pilton and Barnstaple an 800 foot causeway was built across the marsh probably in the early 14th Century.

There is much evidence of money left by wealthy people of Pilton to maintain the causeway. Then in 1678 Pilton Causeway and the two connecting bridges were rebuilt during the mayoralty of Richard Salisbury. In the early 20th century houses were built east of the causeway and Pilton Park was added to the west of the road by the 1920s. These areas continued to flood well into the second half of the 20th century when flood defences largely solved the problem.

For more information open the file.

Show more Show less

Video CMS powered by ViMP (Community) © 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010