close

Social bookmarks

Facebook Twitter Mister Wong digg del.icio.us yahoo YiGG

Embed code

Size
x pixels
Other

Permanent link

Recommend content

E-mail address: Message:

Documents

The History of the Reform Inn, Pilton

  • from: Margaret.Reed
  • uploaded: Jun 13, 2012
  • Hits: 10412
/media/flashcomm?action=mediaview&context=normal&id=128
Description:

This document, which anciently belonged to Ilfracombe Parish Church, tells some of the history of the Reform Inn, in Reform Street, Pilton, which was already in existence in 1717, although not then called the Reform. In the 1792 parish rate it is probably the Gardeners Inn. The story also gives the names of some of the landlords from 1851, revealed by the census of that year, through until 1957. In 1878 it was sold to the Taw Vale Brewery, which was soon afterwards taken over by Starkey, Knight & Ford, the Tiverton-based brewers. In around 1890 it was completely rebuilt as it is today with a white Marland brick facade. Starkey Knight & Ford ceased to be the freeholders after about 100 years and it is now, after centuries of corporate ownership, in private hands, and beer is once again brewed on the premises, as it was centuries ago - by the Barum Brewery.

Follow this link to a photo from the 1900s:
http://vimp.thepiltonstory.org/picture/William-Alfred-%2526amp%253B-Beat...

Show more Show less

Video CMS powered by ViMP (Community) © 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010