close

Social bookmarks

Facebook Twitter Mister Wong digg del.icio.us yahoo YiGG

Embed code

Size
x pixels
Other

Permanent link

Recommend content

E-mail address: Message:

Documents

The Parish and Parish Church of Pilton

/media/flashcomm?action=mediaview&context=normal&id=163
Description:

In 1961 the late Clifford Davies of Pilton compiled an account of the parish and parish church of Pilton which was published by Graham Cumming Ltd of Ramsgate. The account covered the early history, Roborough Camp, King Athelstan, Pilton Priory, the Leper Hospital, the Raleigh Family, Pilton itself, a Recluse's Cell, the Church Tower, The Plague, extracts from the Journal of the Town Clerk of Barnstaple, industries, The church including the bells, the nave and chancel, the noteworthy font cover, the pulpit, the screens, the many monuments, and the priors and incumbents of Pilton from 1200 to 1956.

The 1961 edition included advertisments for some Pilton businesses - Maid Marian Food Store (now Pilton Stores) run by K & J Allen, The Sheepskin Shop (S Sanders & Sons Ltd) at Pilton Bridge, Pilton Bridge Garage which was a Datsun dealer,The Reform Inn, Porcupines Book Shop and Borough Model Laundry on Mill Road.

A later edition of the booklet also contains advertisments for a number of Pilton businesses - Pilton Bridge Garage again, Pathfield Garage and Doris Fisher ladies' hair stylist.

Clifford Davies was the maker of the 'Pilton Festival 1982' film.

Show more Show less

Video CMS powered by ViMP (Community) © 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010