The Public Houses of Pilton
- from: Martin.Haddrill
- uploaded: Jul 30, 2013
- Hits: 1345
In 1971 Margaret Reed published this 28 page booklet entitled ‘The Public Houses of Pilton’. Although the early inns are unrecorded, there is information from around the end of 18th century onwards. Following a discussion of the early inns, the booklet discusses the beer, ale and cider drunk in them and the tobacco smoked in them. There are sections on The Priory Arms (on the corner of Priory Road), The Windsor Hotel in Bradiford (now the Windsor Arms), The Reform Inn in Reform Street (which may have been the earlier Gardeners’ Arms), The New Inn in Pilton Street, The Ilfracombe Inn (which was Littabourne House), The Rolle Quay Inn (on Rolle Quay), the Ring of Bells on Pilton Street, The Unicorn at the top of Pilton Street, which occupied the building which is now the Church Hall, and the Chichester Arms in Pilton Street which became the Green Man Bistro in 2012. In several cases the names of the licensees from around 1900 onwards are given, for obvious reasons only until about 1970.
Thanks to Margaret Reed for permission to include this document.