close

Social bookmarks

Facebook Twitter Mister Wong digg del.icio.us yahoo YiGG

Embed code

Size
x pixels
Other

Permanent link

Recommend content

E-mail address: Message:

Documents

The Story of Doris Fisher’s Hairdressing Salon at 27 Pilton Street

/media/flashcomm?action=mediaview&context=normal&id=809
Description:

This is the story of the hairdressing salon of Doris Fisher at 27 Pilton Street, the first in Pilton. It opened when Doris returned to England from South Africa in 1955, a few years after the death of her husband Herbert Trevor Fisher known as ‘Ted’. It is thought that No 27 had been bought by Doris’ grandmother Sanders back in 1906 and had been run by her as the Pilton Street Post Office and was then run by her aunt Ellen Sanders and uncle Alfred Sanders.
It was a Hairdressing Salon for 30 years until Doris retired in 1986. After that, some of the staff moved to a salon run by Alison Barrow on Rolle Street and, after a few years, this resulted in the formation of Shampers at 110 Pilton Street.
Thanks particularly to Joanne Ley, Doris’ grand-daughter, for providing both photographs and information. Please download this file for the full story.

Show more Show less

Video CMS powered by ViMP (Community) © 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010