close

Social bookmarks

Facebook Twitter Mister Wong digg del.icio.us yahoo YiGG

Embed code

Size
x pixels
Other

Permanent link

Recommend content

E-mail address: Message:

Documents

The Story of Engineering at No 12 Pilton Street

/media/flashcomm?action=mediaview&context=normal&id=148
Description:

In the early nineteenth century No 12 Pilton Street was the site of a malthouse, four houses and a garden. By the 1840s Joseph Laramy from South Molton had established a woolstapling business. When he died the property was sold again, eventually becoming a millwrights business in the 1880s. After a period making shells during the First World War, it returned to millwrighting and then repair of steam engines until the 1930s. In the late 1930s Percy Brailey bought the business and property and it became the Pilton Engineering Works and the base for a contract ploughing and harvesting business. The business got too big for one man to run and became a limited company in 1946, Braileys Engineering Limited, and was later taken over by North Devon Farmers. It became a residential property when North Devon Farmers built a new premises on Braunton Road in the 1960s.

Read more of the detail in this article by local historian Margaret Reed.

Show more Show less

Video CMS powered by ViMP (Community) © 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010