Captain the Milk Delivery Horse seen here with his milk float delivering milk in and around Yeo Vale in Barnstaple. Notice the churns in the cart and the sign on the side of the cart which reads "Producer of Tuberculin Tested Milk". Testing for TB was first introduced in 1937 and became mandatory in 1947. Captain was owned by the Watts family of Pitt Farm, Roger Watts' father having purchased the farm from Reg. Isaac in 1953. Roger Watts' Grandfather had originally purchased Underwood Meadow in 1896 and started his own milk round as it was the only way farmers could sell their milk and in the early 1900's there were 76 Milk Retailers in Barnstaple. There was a total acreage between the two farms of 120 acres and a herd of 80 cows making it for several years one of the largest herds locally but which would be considered today a small herd. A thousand pigs were also sold each year for bacon or pork.
Thanks to Roger Watts for this photograph.