close

Social bookmarks

Facebook Twitter Mister Wong digg del.icio.us yahoo YiGG

Embed code

Size
x pixels
Other

Permanent link

Recommend content

E-mail address: Message:

Pictures

Pathfield Garage

  • from: Richard.Howe
  • uploaded: Jan 12, 2015
  • Hits: 378
Pathfield Garage /media/flashcomm?action=mediaview&context=normal&id=520
Description:

The cars date these Abbey Road scenes to the late 1950s (motor enthusiasts will recognise a Hillman Minx Series III which was produced from 1958). The pictures were taken outside Pathfield Garage before houses were built in the southern half of the road, named Pathfield at that point. The name now graces one of Pilton's four schools. Pathfield Garage was owned by Douglas Bray.
In the background is the bottom of Abbey Road (houses built 1935) when it was a cul-de-sac. The photos were posted on Facebook by Eleanor Bray to whom thanks are due. Abbey Road is thought to have been completed when Bluecoat School opened in January 1969, although the Infant School opened much earlier in 1956. Deborah Gahan explained "The original drive of Pilton Infants School led straight to the front of the building from Fair View. The site of Pilton Bluecoat was still a field then, as was Pathfields, all the way up to the Girls' Secondary School, others will remember, before this was built, in the late 50s or early 60s. Next came Abbeyfield/Pathfield School, visited, amazingly, by pop star Millie in 1964ish. Then the Girls' School became co-ed and comprehensive, and now has been expanded so much that nothing remains of the old Pathfields, where children played and families had picnics. The old public footpath has been diverted around the edge but at least the site, as hosting the four schools, still benefits the community but in an educational rather than a recreational way
We would love to have more information about the development of the area.

Show more Show less

Video CMS powered by ViMP (Community) © 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010