Plaque concerning church land taken by Henry VIII on the Dissolution of the Monasteries
- from: Martin.Haddrill
- uploaded: Nov 12, 2013
- Hits: 3972
Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries after he was made Supreme Head of the Church of England by an Act of Parliament in 1534. As a result, in 1536 he took away land belonging to Pilton Priory on the north side of the church. This piece of land, "alienated from the church by Henry VIII", was purchased by the Parish and returned to the church in 1867.
This plaque, on the north wall of St Mary's Church graveyard close to the Ladywell, was erected to commemorate the event.
Thanks to St Mary's Church for permission to include this item in the archive.