close

Social bookmarks

Facebook Twitter Mister Wong digg del.icio.us yahoo YiGG

Embed code

Size
x pixels
Other

Permanent link

Recommend content

E-mail address: Message:

Pictures

Poster for the Sale of the Pilton House Estate by Auction in October 1849

Poster for the Sale of the Pilton House Estate by Auction in October 1849 /media/flashcomm?action=mediaview&context=normal&id=551
Description:

In October 1849 the Pilton House Estate was sold by auction. This image is the poster advertising the event. The estate consisted of:

'A Capital Mansion, called PILTON HOUSE, with Offices, Coach-House and Stabling, Gardens, Orchard, Pleasure Grounds, Plantation, and Park-like Paddock, the Whole about Twenty Acres, of which possession will be given; a Capital Meadow, called the Brewery Mead; also Westaway Residence, Farm House and Buildings, Good Gardens, Pleasure Grounds, Rich Meadow, Pasture and Arable Lands; the Desirable Estate, called East and West Trayne, presenting most desirable building scites (sic); several enclosures of very rich (Accommodation) Water Meadow, Meadow & Pasture Land, the Capital Nursery, known as Ireland's, several Dwelling Houses, including the Priory Arms Public House, and the Right of Fishery in the River Yeo.'

The auction was held by Farebrother, Clark & Lye at the Golden Lion Inn, Barnstaple on Friday 12th October 1849 in a total of thirty-three lots.

The Sale Brochure has been found in Pilton House with a plan of the Estate and details of the lots and these will be uploaded into the archive in due course.

Follow this link to see the plan of the estate from the Sale Brochure:

http://vimp.thepiltonstory.org/picture/Plan-of-the-Pilton-House-Estate-s...

Enormous thanks are due to Louise Thomas, Manager of Pilton House, for showing us this historic document.

Show more Show less

Video CMS powered by ViMP (Community) © 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010