close

Social bookmarks

Facebook Twitter Mister Wong digg del.icio.us yahoo YiGG

Embed code

Size
x pixels
Other

Permanent link

Recommend content

E-mail address: Message:

Pictures

THE UNITED SERVICES BOWLING CLUB IN POTTINGTON ROAD IN 1953

THE UNITED SERVICES BOWLING CLUB IN POTTINGTON ROAD IN 1953 /media/flashcomm?action=mediaview&context=normal&id=250
Description:

The United Services Bowling Club in Pottington Road, Pilton, Barnstaple, has been in existence since 1921 when the ground it occupies was part of the land, along with Tennis, Cricket and Football clubs, that was originally used for agricultural shows and formed part of the Clinton Estates. It was given after the First World War for returning service men to be used for their recreation, hence the name of the club.
The new bowling green was officially opened in 1924 and was for many years privately owned.

In 1928 the club became affiliated to the Devon County Bowling Association. In 1936/37 the club came under the umbrella of the Council.
Until the early 1950’s the club was male only and at the time some of the men were unhappy at the ladies being allowed to play. The ladies were finally affiliated to the English Women’s Bowling Association in 1955.

This photograph from 1953 shows: A. Lydon, F. Preshous, S.Hill, A.Brown, K. West, W. Cooper, R. Davois, A. Patten, G. Courtney,
E. Littlejohns, H. Hopper, G. Sexton, G. Ashton, G. Punchard, W. Jackman, F.Dobbs, A. Remington, R. Blake, E. Richards, A. Chugg, D. Barrows, F. Boyles and T. Mogridge.

As at the date of this posting, 2013, the club is still very active with approx. 90 members of all ages and has had many successes over the years. If you are interested in learning the game please call 01271 343904 or visit the club web site: http://www.unitedservicesbowlingclub.co.uk/1.html.

Show more Show less

Video CMS powered by ViMP (Community) © 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010