The Feoffee Cottages or Upper Almshouses at the top of Pilton Street in 1911
- from: Martin.Haddrill
- uploaded: Apr 30, 2012
- Hits: 3577
The Feoffee Cottages or Upper Almshouses are of unknown origin and may date back to 1577. Previously referred to as the Church Houses, they were demolished and the stone-built almshouses shown here in 1911 were built in May 1849, partly at the expense of Rev Thomas Bowdler in memory of his daughter. A plaque on the north side of the building commemorates this. They were modernised in the 1970s and are managed by the Pilton United Charities which administers a number of benefactions in Pilton for the benefit of deserving Piltonians.