close

Social bookmarks

Facebook Twitter Mister Wong digg del.icio.us yahoo YiGG

Embed code

Size
x pixels
Other

Permanent link

Recommend content

E-mail address: Message:

Pictures

The Lake Almshouses, Pilton

The Lake Almshouses, Pilton /media/flashcomm?action=mediaview&context=normal&id=641
Description:

The four Lake Almshouses are to be found at the very eastern end of Underminnow Road, Pilton. They belonged to the pre-Reformation Guild of the Blessed Virgin Mary and were entirely rebuilt in 1863 at the expense of T Wrey Harding, Esq. of Upcott House (see stone inset in photograph). At that time, they were occasionally referred to as the Underwinnow Almshouses, a name derived from the more correct name of the incorrectly-named Underminnow Road. Please refer to Margaret Reed's Book 'Pilton - Its Past and Its People' for an explanation.

The Almshouses are administered by the Pilton United Charity.

Show more Show less

Video CMS powered by ViMP (Community) © 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010