The Story of 27 and 27a Pilton Street
- from: Martin.Haddrill
- uploaded: Oct 28, 2013
- Hits: 104
These two houses are 27 and 27a Pilton Street. In Victorian/Edwardian times they were the Pilton Street Post Office. John Davy Thomas had kept the post office for nearly 30 years prior to his death aged 83 on 25th July 1906. It was sold as Lot 3 by his executors, Messrs Harding & Son, in April 1907 to Mrs E Sanders for £430. Follow this link to learn more about the Sanders Family at that time:
The house later became the hairdressing salon of Doris Fisher (the advertisement above is taken from the report of the first Pilton Festival in the North Devon Journal Herald on 22nd July 1982). Mrs Fisher divided up the building, making a cottage for herself and selling the main part to Richard and Jacqui Howe in 1986. They made it into a cafe/restaurant, known as Poppy’s and run by Jacqui Howe. After a few years it was sold again and became Crumbles Restaurant run by Mark and Judith Crooks, before becoming two private houses.