Alfred Martin Brown of Wrafton and Mary Margarite Harper of 30 Pottington Road Barnstaple were married at Pilton Church by the Reverend John Henderson on the 17th September 1941. The groom was on 6 weeks leave from the Royal Navy and their honeymoon was a weekend in Ilfracombe.
The reception was held at 30 Pottington Road where the bride had lived with her father. The father of the bride and her uncle ran a bakery from the above address. The bakery ran from the late 1930’s until 1965 and was called Harpers bakery. To start with they delivered bread and confectionery by horse and cart but eventually they had three vans and would deliver bread and confectionery to the outlying villages.
In the picture from the right to left in the front row:
Mr Fred Harper father of the bride, Miss Jean Harper cousin of the bride, Mr Reg Harper brother of the bride, the Bride herself, the Groom, and Emily and Arthur Brown the Groom's parents. In the second row 4th from the left is Mr Reg Harper' Uncle of the Bride' who was the partner in the business.
Thanks to Liz Davies for this photograph and information.