close

Social bookmarks

Facebook Twitter Mister Wong digg del.icio.us yahoo YiGG

Embed code

Size
x pixels
Other

Permanent link

Recommend content

E-mail address: Message:

Pictures

North Devon Technical College around 1947

North Devon Technical College around 1947 /media/flashcomm?action=mediaview&context=normal&id=278
Description:

Around 1947 the North Devon Technical College was housed in old huts where Barnstaple Fire Station is now located at the bottom of the A39 North Road towards Lynton close to Pilton Bridge. This photograph of a group of young women attending the College was provided by Peter Christie of the North Devon Atheneum. Michael Garrett has reported that these huts 'could have been left over from World War 2 when they housed the American Red Cross'. They were described by Rachel Ray Berger as 'all very modern and sleek for that time, bright and airy too'.

In the background you can see the North Road and behind it what is now Rotary Gardens with Pilton House partially hidden by the trees.

If anyone can identify anyone in the photograph, please contact us.

Show more Show less

Video CMS powered by ViMP (Community) © 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010