close

Social bookmarks

Facebook Twitter Mister Wong digg del.icio.us yahoo YiGG

Embed code

Size
x pixels
Other

Permanent link

Recommend content

E-mail address: Message:

Documents

Pilton’s Role in the Development of Barnstaple's Water Supply from 1698 to 1933

/media/flashcomm?action=mediaview&context=normal&id=851
Description:

This 1400-word article from the North Devon Journal of March 1933 reported a talk by the Manager of the Barnstaple Water Company, C. N Wood, to the Rotary Club of Barnstaple. The story begins in 1698, and proceeds through the 19th century campaign to put Barnstaple’s water supply on a satisfactory basis, to the construction which is the basis of today’s system.
What is its relevance to Pilton?
The scheme was implemented after a public meeting in 1857. It involved taking water from the River North Yeo, near Loxhore Cross, and bringing it to Snapper along the line of an ancient waterway. This waterway was said to date from the time King Athelstan, when it was used to supply the Priory at Pilton – although we acknowledge that this may be yet another myth related to that much quoted king. From Snapper the water was carried to the site of the present waterworks in Raleigh Park by a line of earthenware pipes. Two filter beds and a covered reservoir were constructed at the waterworks at Westaway, and a line of pipes ran from there through Pilton Street to deliver the water to Barnstaple.
Thanks to the North Devon Journal for publishing this article in 1933,

Show more Show less

Video CMS powered by ViMP (Community) © 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010