close

Social bookmarks

Facebook Twitter Mister Wong digg del.icio.us yahoo YiGG

Embed code

Size
x pixels
Other

Permanent link

Recommend content

E-mail address: Message:

Documents

SALE OF WORK FOR PILTON CHURCH OPENED BY MATILDA LADY WILLIAMS IN 1923

/media/flashcomm?action=mediaview&context=normal&id=838
Description:

St Mary’s Church, Pilton, dates back over ten centuries, so it is not surprising that it requires quite a lot of maintenance. In July 1923 the North Devon Journal reported a Sale of Work on the Vicarage Lawn which was opened by Matilda, Lady Williams, formerly of Upcott House.
The Sale was to raise money towards the cost of repairs to the roof of the Church, at £150, and, it was hoped, to provide funds for installing electric light in the body of the Church at £50 or £60. Not for the first time, the alarm had been raised when something fell off, a boss, fortunately during the night.
The event raised £145, equivalent to about £9,000 today.
Thanks to the North Devon Journal for this report.

Show more Show less

Video CMS powered by ViMP (Community) © 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010